Friday 24th September 2021
Friday, 24th of September 2021
Home / News / Alison-Madueke to permanently forfeit N7.6bn, court orders

Alison-Madueke to permanently forfeit N7.6bn, court orders

Justice Abdulazeez Anka of the Federal High Court, Lagos on Monday, August 28, 2017 ordered the permanent forfeiture of the sum of N7,646,700,000, suspected to belong to former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Dieziani Alison-Madueke, to the Federal Government.

Diezani Alison-Madueke

Diezani Alison-Madueke. Photo credit: TODAY.ng

Justice Anka made the order following an application filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), seeking the final and permanent forfeiture of the said sum to the Federal Government.

The anti-graft agency in its supporting affidavit, averred that, consequent upon the investigation it carried out based on intelligent reports, the sum of N7,646,700,000 was discovered in the accounts of some banks.

ALSO READ:  AUPCTRE, ERA, others kick against national assets sale

The commission said the fund was actually proceeds of unlawful activities held and laundered through former Group Managing Director, Crude Oil Marketing Division of Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Gbenga Olu Komolafe; former Group Managing Director, Petroleum Products Management Company (PPMC), Prince Haruna Momoh; and Group Managing Director of Nigerian Products Marketing Company (NPMC), Umar Farouk Ahmed, on behalf of Mrs. Alison-Madueke.

Justice Chuka Obiozor of the same court in Lagos had on August 7, 2017, ordered the temporary forfeiture of the money and ordered anyone interested in the funds to enter appearance and say why the funds should not be forfeited to the federal government permanently.

ALSO READ:  Messi, Ronaldo shift rivalry to hotel business

The order followed an ex- parte application filed and argued before him by the EFCC. The EFCC had in the application alleged that Mrs. Alison-Madueke stashed the money in some banks.

The anti graft agency further alleged that the Federal Government had, since February last year, through an order granted by another judge, Justice Muslim Hassan, also of the Federal High Court in Lagos, recovered part of the huge money stashed in banks across the country by the former minister.

But, on Monday, August 28, the court ordered the permanent seizure of the funds as no one claimed ownership.

By Chinyere Obia

x

Check Also

Green Janitors

Environment group wants governments to address indiscriminate waste disposal

The Green Janitors Sustainable Initiative (GJSI) has urged the Federal, State and Local Governments to ...

%d bloggers like this: