The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) on Monday, May 2, 2022, said that the death toll at the collapsed three-storey building in the Ebute Metta area has increased to 10.
Mr Ibrahim Farinloye, the Zonal Coordinator, South-West, NEMA, confirmed the development in Lagos.
“Two additional bodies including a four-year-old boy and a female youth corps member recovered, making 10 deaths.
“The number of rescued occupants remains 23, while six males and four females have been so far recovered dead,” Farinloye said.
A three-storey building collapsed on Sunday at about 10.56 p.m. on 24 Ibadan Street, Herbert Macaulay Way, Ebute Meta, Lagos.
However, rescue operations are still ongoing at the site of the incident in search of occupants trapped under the rubble.
Meanwhile, the landlord’s son, in whose care the collapsed three-storey building was entrusted, said that he gave the occupants of the building quit notice when he discovered the visible stress on it.
The caretaker, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told emergency responders and newsmen on Monday in Lagos that he was living in the building with other occupants when he noticed signs of distress.
“I had to leave the building and rented an apartment in the same vicinity,” the caretaker said.
He said that quit notice was eventually handed over to the occupants which they failed to adhere to.
The caretaker said that he had not collected rental fees from the tenants for a long time since he had expected them to pack out.
The said building collapsed on Sunday night, killing several occupants, while 23 of them were rescued alive.
Emergency workers have been working round the clock to get to ground zero of the building.
By Fabian Ekeruche