The #Bringbackourgirls group on Thursday slammed President Goodluck Jonathan for what it described as his insincerity in the efforts to rescue the abducted Chibok girls after 115 days.
The group, in statement issued on Thursday, said that there is double talk in what President Jonathan is saying on the issue of the abduction of the over 200 girls in Borno State.
The #Bringbackourgirls group recalled President Jonathan’s statement recently that the government will not negotiate with Boko-Haram but in a statement credited to him in Washington DC, United States of America during the week made a u-turn, saying that efforts to negotiate with the insurgents were ongoing.
The group described the President as one who engages in double talk, which gives the movement great cause for concern about the sincerity of the effort to rescue the abducted girls.
It said: “The world seems to have moved on, as we note with concern the lack of evidence to back the statements by the Government that all is being done to rescue our girls.
“We also note statements credited to the US Government over sighting of the girls in July 2014. Knowing the location of the girls is a positive development but this is not the first time Nigerians have been told that the location of the girls is already known. We also note the ambiguity in the statement credited to the President in Washington DC that efforts to negotiate with the insurgents are ongoing even though the earlier position of the government had been that it would not negotiate with Boko Haram.
“It is this ambiguity and double talk which gives our movement great cause for concern about the sincerity of the effort to rescue the abducted girls.
“At its meeting on July 30, 2014, the Council of State promised that the insurgency in the North East will end by December 2014. We call on the Government to provide adequate information on how this is to be achieved considering that the insurgency in the North East has only escalated in the past several months and previous assurances by the Government and its functionaries have not produced any results.
“We urge the Government to scale up its efforts in the rescue operation, to ensure that this debacle comes to an end because of the separation of the innocent girls from their grieving parents. Their education has come to a stand still, as they remain in captivity with the insurgents.
“Worse still, their continued stay in captivity has given room for unfounded speculations about the role the girls are purported to have played in recent suicide attacks. We should all bury our heads in shame that 115 days since their abduction, we have not produced any visible results. Instead, the girls are being victimized further by associating them with heinous crime.”