Friday 23rd August 2019
Friday, 23rd of August 2019
Home / Conservation / Alex Ekwueme varsity greens campus with 20,000 endangered plant varieties

Alex Ekwueme varsity greens campus with 20,000 endangered plant varieties

The Alex Ekwueme Federal University (AE-FUNAI), Ndufu-Alike, Ikwo, Ebonyi State, says the school is putting modalities in place to plant 20,000 endangered varieties of trees to save the plants from extinction.

Alex Ekwueme Varsity
Former Minister of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo, during the symbolic tree planting at the Alex Ekwueme Federal University (AE-FUNAI), Ndufu-Alike, Ikwo, Ebonyi State

Mr Chukwu Ifeanyi, the Coordinator of the Campus Green Initiative of AE-FUNAI, made the disclosure on Wednesday, May 15, 2019 during a symbolic tree planting by former Minister for Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo in Ebonyi.

The tree planting held concurrently with the three-day first Biennial Engineering Conference of the Faculty of Engineering and Technology of the institution with the theme: “Engineering and Technology: A Driver for Sustainable Development’’.

Ifeanyi said: “AE-FUNAI targets to plant 20,000 endangered varieties of plants within the school premises this year.

ALSO READ:  National Parks Service arrests wildlife trafficker

“During construction of the school, we noticed that many trees were destroyed and some of them are no longer in existence.

“We, therefore, plan to plant 20,000 varieties of plants, 75 per cent of them will be donation from citizens, while the remaining 25 per cent will be sourced by the school.

“It is important we replant these trees to make the school environment-friendly for humanity, animals and the ecosystem.”

The coordinator recalled that from 2016 to 2018, the school planted 5,000 trees and it would be consolidating on that to plant more in
the year.

By Ijeoma Olorunfemi

%d bloggers like this: