The Executive Director of Women Environmental Programme (WEP), Dr Priscilla Achakpa, has been elected as one of the Co-Facilitators of the Women’s Major Group (WMG) to the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
The election results confirming her emergence as one of the Co-Facilitators were announced through the listserve of WMG to UNEP on August 4, 2018.
“Going by the votes, the new Co-Facilitators are: 1. Priscilla Achakpa – Women Environmental Programme, 2. Mrinalini Rai – Global Forest Coalition,” announced Caroline Usikpedo-Omoniye and Isis Alvarez, on behalf of the Steering Committee members who oversaw the conduct of the elections.
The process of electing new Co-Facilitators of WMG to UNEP who will serve for a term of two years started since May 28, 2018 when the WMG called for Steering Committee members to oversee the process. This was followed by nominations and elections throughout the month of June 2018.
The responsibilities of the Co-Facilitators include:
- Consult with national/regional women’s networks working on environmental issues to prepare written inputs for UNEP policy processes;
- Ensure that the principles and values of the WMG are respected in all publications, statements and other communication given on behalf of the WMG;
- Organise, manage and disseminate data and information on the WMG and UNEP;
- Identify participants and consult with the Women’s Major Group members and allied networks for United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA)-related global and/or regional events;
- Facilitate the participation of Women’s Major Group members and organise side events in UNEA and other related global and/or regional processes;
- Work in collaboration with other Major Group representatives to ensure continued space for civil society engagement in the UN Environment Assembly and other related processes, as necessary;
- Serve on UN Environment’s Major Groups Facilitating Committee;
- Fundraise on behalf of the Women’s Major Group; and
- Provide strategic direction and guidance to the Women’s Major Group through an inclusive, consultative and transparent process, of decisions surrounding WMG positions on all UN Environment Assembly decisions.
The Women’s Major Group (WMG) to the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the focal point for UN environmental policies. The WMG-UNEP’s responsibility covers the UN Environment Assembly and related meetings, Regional Consultative Meetings (RCM), and the environmental interlinkages to the 2030 Agenda and the High-Level Political Forum. In addition, the WMG-UNEP aims to cooperate closely with other Women’s Major Groups and Women’s constituencies linked to other UN policy processes.