The Lagos State Ministry of Health on Saturday, May 2, 2020 announced another four COVID-19 related deaths, as the number of confirmed cases in the state jumped to 1,022.
The ministry, however, did not give additional information about age, sex, nationality and medical history of the deceased.
“Unfortunately, four #COVID-19 deaths were recorded. This brings the total number of #COVID-19 related deaths in Lagos to 25,” it said through its Twitter handle @LSMOH.
The ministry added that, as of May 1, it recorded 30 new cases of COVID-19 infection, increasing the number of confirmed cases in Lagos to 1,022.
The ministry stated, “26 #COVID-19 Lagos patients were discharged. Total discharged patients stand at 225”.
There are 754 active cases, two evacuated and 16 patients transferred to Ogun and Ondo states.
Data from the Africa Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) shows that there were 40,746 cases, 1,689 deaths and 13, 383 recoveries reported from 53 Africa countries.
Meanwhile, Kebbi State has recorded the first death arising from the second index case of novel coronavirus pandemic.
The chairman of the state Task Force on COVID-19, Alhaji Muhammad Jafaar, told newsmen on Saturday in Birnin Kebbi, the state capital, that the second index case, a 60-year-old patient, was brought from Usmanu Dan Fodio Teaching Hospital (UDTH) in Sokoto, into the state.
Jafaar, who is the state Commissioner for Health, explained that the patient was discovered at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Birnin Kebbi, to be diabetic and hypertensive before contracting the virus.
“This is the second index case.
“He was a 60-year-old man brought from Usmanu Dan Fodio Teaching Hospital, Sokoto by a relative to the Federal Medical Centre (FMC) Birnin Kebbi, where he was receiving treatment for diabetes and hypertension.
“While in the FMC, a consultant was invited and COVID-19 was suspected and our response team was called in.
“Sample was collected from the patient on 25 April. Before the patient was taken to the isolation centre, he died on April 26.
“On the April 29, the result of the test turned positive of COVID-19.
“From then, our contacts tracing team swung into actions and traced 12 closed contacts and 17 other contacts.
“All samples have been collected and sent to the laboratory for testing,’’ he explained.
Jafaar said that the management of the UDUTH, Sokoto had been contacted and working together with Kebbi’s COVID-19 task force to curtail the virus.
The commissioner urged the people of the state to remain calm, assuring that the state had received technical support from the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on the case management.
The state government had on April 26 announced the first index case of COVID-19 in the state.
The patient was a 40-year-old man with a travel history of having come from Lagos State.
By Oluwafunke Ishola and Ibrahim Bello