Monday 25th May 2020
Monday, 25th of May 2020
Home / Health / Declaring victory in Congo’s Ebola epidemic too early – WHO

Declaring victory in Congo’s Ebola epidemic too early – WHO

The head of the World Health Organisation (WHO) has cautioned against declaring victory too early in Congo’s Ebola epidemic, in spite of encouraging signs that it may be brought under control.

Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus  Declaring victory in Congo’s Ebola epidemic too early – WHO Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus

Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General of the World Health Organisation (WHO). Photo credit: AFP / FABRICE COFFRINI / Getty Images

“The outbreak is stabilising, but still the outbreak is not over,” WHO chief Tedros Ghebreyesus told newsmen on a visit to Democratic Republic of Congo’s capital Kinshasa.

“We are still at war, and we need to continue to strengthen our surveillance and … be very vigilant.”

WHO officials on Friday, June 8, 2018 expressed cautious optimism that the epidemic of the deadly virus was stabilising, partly owing to the swift deployment of vaccines.

ALSO READ:  Zambia dismisses reports of Ebola outbreak in capital

But a day earlier, Congo’s health ministry reported its first confirmed case of Ebola in over a week, in the rural community of Iboko.

Ghebreyesus said 2,200 people had been vaccinated, and that case management and tracing contacts of victims had gone well.

But he said: “It’s not over until it is over. Even if one case crosses into Congo (Republic) and gets to an urban area that could trigger another epidemic.”

The hemorrhagic fever has killed 27 people since the outbreak began in April, and there have been 62 cases, 38 of which were confirmed in a laboratory.

A further 14 are probable Ebola cases, and 10 more people are suspected of having Ebola.

ALSO READ:  World is running out of antibiotics, WHO warns

In contrast to past Ebola outbreaks health workers have moved quickly to halt Congo’s latest epidemic.

Ebola killed at least 11,300 people from 2013 to 2016 in West Africa and during that outbreak WHO was criticised for not taking it seriously enough in its early stages.

NAN reports that on May 14, WHO gave the go-ahead by officials in the Democratic Republic of Congo to import and use an experimental Ebola vaccine in the country.

The vaccine, developed by Merck in 2016, has proven safe and effective in human trials, but it is still experimental as it does not yet have a license.

ALSO READ:  NAFDAC endorses Chloroquine for clinical trial, treatment of COVID-19

It must be kept at -60 to -80 degrees Celsius (-76°F to -112°F), creating huge logistical challenges.

The shot, which was tested in Guinea in 2015 at the end of a vast Ebola outbreak in West Africa, is designed for use in a so-called “ring vaccination” approach.

This would mean that when a new Ebola case is diagnosed, all people who might have been in recent contact with them are traced and vaccinated to try and prevent the disease’s spread.

x

Check Also

Atewa Range Forest Reserve  Biological Diversity Day: UN report demands urgent action to safeguard forests’ biodiversity Atewa Range Forest Reserve

Biological Diversity Day: UN report demands urgent action to safeguard forests’ biodiversity

Urgent action is needed to safeguard the biodiversity of the world’s forests amid alarming rates ...

Live Updates COVID-19 CASES
%d bloggers like this: