Young creators from 24 countries submitted 76 media projects for consideration for the third MY World 360º playlist.
The selection includes youth voices from Argentina, Brazil, Hong Kong, India, Kenya, Uganda, and the United States, with a focus on Climate Action and Reducing Inequalities. The stories allow viewers to examine issues of climate and inequality in settings that range from the Amazon rainforest, to the largest dumpsite in Eastern Africa, to the bustling Sham Shui Po neighborhood in Hong Kong.
Their stories will be screened at the United Nations Headquarters in New York during the UN General Assembly High-Level Week from September 23-27, coinciding with the first ever SDG Summit.
The SDG Summit will gather heads of state and government from around the world to comprehensively review progress on the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). A small team of MY World 360º youth creators will be at the UN General Assembly to screen their work for heads of state and government, activists, UN officials and thought leaders and take delegates into the immersive worlds they captured to inspire action on the SDGs.
Launched in 2018, MY World 360° supports young people worldwide to develop their digital skills, share their perspectives, and advance positive action on the SDGs.
“Young people are leading the way in making the Sustainable Development Goals a reality. Each of the MY World 360 films is a powerful call to action to accelerate progress on the Goals, and we will do our best to ensure their voices are heard by world leaders and decision makers,” said Marina Ponti, Director of the United Nations SDG Action Campaign.
“We’re excited to support youth all over the world to develop their digital skills and share their perspectives using emerging technology,” said Karen Cator, President and CEO of Digital Promise.
“Through our partnership with Oculus and the UN SDG Action Campaign, we’re thrilled to bring youth media creators to the UN General Assembly to screen their films and share with a global audience why these kinds of learning experiences are so powerful.”
The newest MY World 360º playlist features the following films:
- Tu Prejuicio, Mi Identidad (Your Prejudice, My Identity) by students at Fundación Puerta 18 in Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Cipó de Jabuti – Amazon Riverine Stories by Global Shapers Community in Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
- Decolonize Your Eyes by GatoMÍDIA in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Ribeirinhos – The Struggle of a People by students at High School Maria Elizete Fona Nunes, in Breves, Pará, Brazil
- Diversity in Sham Shui Po by students at the University of Hong Kong
- Break the Bias by youth at iEARN-Indiain Pune, India
- The Forgotten Ones by BlackRhinoVR in Nairobi, Kenya
- The Farm Cops – For a Hunger Free Society by students at Gayaza High School in Kampala, Uganda
- Around the Same Table by students at Cedar Ridge High School in North Carolina, United States